Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Friends Feed My Soul


Here in Tokyo the skies are dark. Too much concrete and steel weigh down my spirit. Everything seems outrageously expensive. So why am I so happy?

I am surrounded by love. Love from my family, love from my friends, even love from my former radio show listeners (the fans who I have gotten to know well.) It is a humbling experience.

After decades on air, I was sick of it all. I didn't need the stress, the endless hours of work, the exposure, the fan mail... Ugh. Get me out of here. 

What an ingrate I was.

Most of the year I live in silence and isolation. I tell Big Dog, that's why I talk so loudly in my sleep. I have not found a new "tribe" to replace the one I had in Tokyo, but it was okay. I had all the great energy from nature to commune with. But now in Tokyo, reconnecting with all these people, I realize how much they mean to me, how so fortunate I am.

My wacky family and our amazing dinner conversations that can go from heated political debates to potty humor. MM who has inspired me to lighten my life in preparation for The Big Change that she/we believe is coming. Q with all her spiritual wisdom. MS who never ceases to push my creativity buttons. My oldest friend G, always making me laugh. Remember how you made me laugh even on the day of my father's wake?

I can't wait to meet up with the others.

I used to think the best part of homecoming was the fantastic food here. Now I know it's really my friends and family who so completely feed my soul.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home