Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

I remember I was on the Big Island in Hawaii on Election Day 2000. The Infamous Presidential Election. We were staying in a funky guesthouse south of Kona and all the guests were huddled in the living room watching TV. I think it was Fox TV, actually, and they announced that George W had won. But he hadn't really. Not at that time, anyway. ("Or any other time!" some might add.)

In 2004, we were in Mexico, being congratulated or consoled (depending on the person) by snowbird Canadians. All of our Mexican friends were anti-Bush so talk of the US Presidential Election Results was an opportunity for me to learn all sorts of (Mexican) Spanish swear words. I shall not repeat them here, however.

Since the last entry, it was a week of wrap-up at the Ranch. Getting stuff put away, finalizing the New Well, mopping up here and there, socializing with the other Ranch Residents. I think we have a nice group out there now. A State Park Ranger/Certified Sawyer (that's someone who cuts trees), an Adventurer/Jewelry Maker, a Health Food Store Manager, a Caregiver/Horse Lady & her Student/Athlete/Horse Girl daughter, a Winter Resort Planner/Handyman (yesssss!) and a Surfer/Artist. Plus 3 chickens, 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 horses and a lot of wild things. Our own little commune!

It's funny because I'd dreamed of this "back to nature" lifestyle since I was in my teens! Big Dog laughs at me playing Farmer John. Just before we left the Ranch, I was drying bunches of grapes, turning them into raisins and BD rolled his eyes at me.

"Too much circa 1967 for you?" I asked.
"No, it's too much circa 1929 Depression Era," he replied.
Ah. I see. This was after I canned a few jars of homemade crabapple jelly (wonderful haunting scents -- a good alternative to cranberry jelly) and plum sauce.

All too soon we had to leave. Had to. That's a funny word. We didn't really HAVE to, but Big Dog is on his Endless Summer Quest, and the end of Daylight Saving Time was it for him.

"It gets too dark, too soon," he was complaining during our last few days on the Ranch. The weather was too perfect -- no marine layer to fog our mornings, warm (almost hot!) days. The problem was that there wasn't ENOUGH of it. Dusk set in way too early and that was pushing Big Dog out of California. I think I would have enjoyed a few more weeks, though.

Anyway, our bags are packed, our boarding passes are printed, our ride to the airport is booked and we are ready to go….to Hawaii tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carole... I love reading your posts... Its like an ongoing novel..I have another friend Ted Simon http://www.jupitalia.com/

Whom I like to enjoy reading...He is an acomplished Author...Your musings are of the same calibre..

Take Care in Hawaii...

I am happy about the Republicans going..

Martin

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home