Thursday, June 19, 2008

Full Moon Fever

The leaky water tank is a bigger problem, but the bats inside the eaves are a more disgusting one. And I thought I had the place pretty well sealed!

A bit of screening had either come loose, or the bats were able to take it off (I picture them swarming and turning into a giant hand, like the cartoons) but, either way, they have moved back in again this year and unlike last year, have been here for several months now.

I am getting tired of fighting the bats. I built them that nice house last year, which they've ignored, and now are back in mine to poop and pee and stink the place up. (The current heat wave does wonders, too, for that extra funkiness!) The last couple of days, I've been up on the roof, re-attaching screening in such a way that it's a one-way door, but I don't know if they are getting out. I can still hear a mob up there and there must have been a full moon party going on last night! But their days are numbered. Bat Fighter is ready for some drastic measures.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bats.
Put a snake in the roof. They are much more congenial house-mates.

6:26 AM  
Blogger bad-dog said...

good idea...but...how does one catch a snake?

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given the choice, I usually use my snake tool kept in the workshop. Just a metre long stick with a u-shaped bit of fencing wire on the end. File the cut end of wire smooth so as not to damage the snake's skin. When you slip it under the middle of the snake and lift it, it cant strike as it doesn't have the ground to push against to make a lunge. Drop in a cloth bag. Often though I dont have the tool handy when the snake is about so I take off my shirt and drop it on the snake's head. Grab hold of the snake through the shirt and feel your way to the head. When you have a firm grip on the neck pick it up shirt and all and carry off if no bag handy to drop it in. Both methods safe so doesn't matter is it is venomous. Here in Oz I'd pick a red-bellied black to deal with the bats. Venomous but docile and a healthy adult human would probably survive a bite anyway. It would only have to eat a few before the rest take the hint. Dont pick a rattler. The damn noise in the roof you could do without. I hope I have pointed you in the right direction to solve your bat problem.
Paul

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Congratulations on passing your driving test. 007 would be proud. Licenced to kill. I'm sure you wont, as those drivers who know their limitations survive best. Those who turn on their egos when they start the engine fare the worst.
paul

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home