Sunday, August 06, 2006

Highway 61...Visited! (Leland, Mississippi)

This is the famous highway that Delta bluesmen would take to find work up north. I never imagined I would be driving up this blues corridor! That I'd stand by the side of the road, gazing at the fields of cotton.

For any blues lover, and many a music lover, Highway 61 is not just a road connecting small, insignificant towns. It's a Highway of Mythical Proportions! I don't know if Bob Dylan ever visited this Highway before recording HIS legendary album, but he knew. I think all poets are aware, consciously or subconsciously, of symbolism, and Highway 61 is almost like a religious icon.

"In the beginning, there was the road..."
Or maybe it's the Star in the Christ birth story...

I wanted to sit there, by the side of the road, in the blazing sun until I got sun stroke. But we had a flight to catch in another state. Next time! Next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home